Monday, February 2, 2015

Book in the Making: Our Story Unfolds

As the sun starts to set, I make my way toward the back of the house. I like to meditate as the bright orange and red orb touches the horizon. The cool grass feels great under my barefeet. I close my eyes to the laughter of our children as they play tag with our baby goat. The crackle of the wood and the smoke wafting through the air is so familiar now. Peter is starting the fire for tonight’s dinner. I smell it even as I awake halfway across the globe.

The sheetrock walls give it away. We’re back in the States and I'm more than a little homesick for Botswana. The hardwood floors are kinder to my feet than the cold terracotta tile. Wood holds onto warmth from the efficient baseboard heaters. These are things you forget to be grateful for. This, and not having to shuffle your feet to keep from stepping on scorpions as you make your way toward the bathroom pre-dawn.

Small price to pay – warmth and security. Our bodies might be back in NY, but our hearts will always be in Africa.


It’s been nearly10 years since moving back, and I still wonder why we weren’t able to stay. More than a little resentful at times, I know the answer. It’s amazing that I have to remind myself of it, but I know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment