Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Whales, Windows, and the Wish of an abandoned girl fulfilled


     It's whale season, if there is such a season, here on St. Croix. Not so many are seen from the shore, although scuba divers have heard them from far away. But after moving to this house, I have had it in my head that I want to see one, specifically, one breeching as I stand in my home overlooking the sea.  

. . .

     When we found this house, I looked out over the porch that looks out over the Caribbean and I said, "One day, I'm going to see a whale breech right there." I have subsequently said this to visitors. Those whom have lived here for longer than we have, have said, "Whale sightings are fairly rare, you know." And folks just visiting the island have said, "Oh, do you see many whales here?" 

My answer to both is, "I'm going to look out this window and see a whale breeching right there." 

. . .

     We've lived in this house since September 2018 and I have yet to see a whale out our living room window or from any vantage point for that matter, but that doesn't mean for a second I'm going to give up looking.

. . . 

     Two years ago, someone I knew on FB posted that as they sunbathed on Ham's Bluff beach they saw a whale! Without hesitation, I got in my car and drove towards the sighting. Mind you, I can count how many times I've driven here on STX. I have a million excuses why I don't/won't drive, but whales!?! I'm going for it.

I took off down the street, pulled over where I could and stared into the deep blue sea. No, I didn't see a whale, but I had a lovely drive and I vowed I'd do it more often.

. . . 

     Last year, our daughter started dating a guy who has grown up here. He has shown her the island, his island. His home. They live together now and this is the best relationship our daughter's ever had. We approve. 

It so happens his family owns a company that installs windows and doors. On an island that has had several hurricanes destroy it, that's a good business. They were recommended by friends who think very highly of the business and the people who run it. So, once we bought this house, we bought new windows to be installed. 


     The cottage where we live was built in the '80's. It has a great deal of charm but needs a lot of updates. First of all, new windows. The house withstood the two category five hurricanes, Irma and Maria (IrMaria) in 2017, which is why we're here to begin with (Peter mitigates for the territory to FEMA). 

This cottage, tucked in a mountainside was so well-protected, it barely shows any damage from the storms. While there are some spots that leak when it rains, the roof is solid. That said, rain, bugs, lizards and warm winds can and did easily come through the windows because most of them no longer shut. Peter even had to tape some down because the louvers would not lay down and they were stuck in an open position. So, one of the first things we decided to do after our closing was splurge on good windows. 

Many of the older homes, even multi-million dollar vacation homes, don't have air-conditioning. We had units installed in each upstairs room, sharing the cost with the original owners. Because I am so allergic to mosquito and no seeum bites, we kept the windows closed and the a/c on. This is quite extravagant since the electricity here on STX is some of the highest in the country. But, no matter. I got bitten up in the house, many times more than when I'd been outdoors. It's pretty bad if you need to spray DEET on your body just to go to bed. 

Then, there's the Sahara dust! Even when that isn't the problem, our house still would have a thick coating of dust on every square inch of surface, even with our windows "shut"! 

And, let me tell you about the lizards who find their way in but not out. Poor things. So many wound up dying. We'd find their carcasses here and there, because more often than not, we weren't able to catch them and set them free. 

Anyway, I didn't know how long it would take to replace the old with the new windows. Our daughter's boyfriend was the foreman, we trusted him, but I still didn't know what to expect. 

So, after over a year of waiting, when our windows were finally on St. Croix, it was time for us to schedule the work. I wanted to rent a place so that I wouldn't have to be here. The dogs would be barking incessantly. We'd have to walk them on leashes because they may bite a workman. We'd have to get out of the way while they stripped my home of protection, and of course, the openings would allow the mosquitos and no seeums in after I spent the past few years trying to keep them out. 

Let me tell you...the stars literally aligned. 

For days before, during and now after Castle Glassworks started working on our home, the weather was cool and breezy. And while we've had unseasonable rains nearly every day, there have been very few mosquitos. So, even though there were no windows in an opening, there have not been any mosquitos in our house! The breeze is so pleasant, that we haven't needed the A/C on, leaving the windows ajar all day long and throughout the evening. And even with the windows opened, the amount of dust seems to be less than when the old windows were shut and the A/C was running!

Our house looks different. Instead of the traditional paned windows, there is one sheet of unobstructed glass, further enhancing our wonderful views. 

Why am I telling you all of this about a decidedly unsexy bit of construction/renovation?

 
Because like that whale sighting that I know I'm going to experience, that rare, obscure, magical sight that most people wouldn't think to wish for, ask for, believe they'll see?!? I do. I made that wish. And this house, our home, I wished for that as well. 

. . . 

     Out of all of the places Peter and I have visited throughout the world, 98% of the time, I have been known to say, "I could live here." But when our family visited St. John in 2012, 10 years ago, I said to Peter, "I don't ever need to come back." Boy, does the universe fuck with you or what?

I never wanted to visit the USVI again after that trip. I certainly didn't think we'd be living here 10 years later, nor buying a home and looking to stay indefinitely. 

. . .

     Two years ago, we were visiting our family in NY when the pandemic hit. We cut our trip short, flew back to St. Croix, through empty airports, looking out over desolate highways, with a 747 nearly all to ourselves. And we were grateful to be here, where the numbers of positive cases were low and the governor was able to control who came onto the island. Plus, we got the COVID vaccine the first day it was available to the country and traveled only 15 minutes to get it. 

. . .


     For a place I'd never been to, in a region I had no desire to return to, I sure love it here. I have embraced the laidback attitudes, appreciated the beauty of the beaches and the accessibility of the sea. I'm addicted to the flavors of the local produce and the ease with which everything grows. My life here with Peter is simple and yet so complex. And it's due to our home that makes living here so damned extraordinary. How it all came about was serendipity; we found a realtor by accident, she met us and said, "I have just the home for you." And, she was right! This was it. There is no other place but this little yellow and green British Colonial style cottage tucked in the bosom of a mountain, on the edge of the rainforest, high above a bird sanctuary, where my many, too many plantings are now taking over our mature landscaped gardens. 

And because there is only one house here that we would/could call home, I know that when I look out those new windows, and peer at the Caribbean Sea, one day, I'll see the spray of a whale alerting me to pay attention. And just as she is framed between the mahogany tree on the left and Ham's Bluff roadway to the right, she will breech out of the water in a miraculous display. 



That whale breeching will have fulfilled my wish. She will have confirmed my belief that this is home, that I'm meant to be here, that I have been blessed...and I will be grateful. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! My fave so far! Of course it speaks to my own longing for the island. Im glad it worked out for you and you are happy. You will get that whale sighting :) We saw one at Cane Bay...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. I think you also found a wonderful place to call home. 🥰

      Delete