Friday, June 12, 2015

Expectations, Eggshells, and an Eerie Email Encounter


We had a great trip to Charleston, SC. We finally made it to the Sweetgrass Basket Festival. From when I first opened my store, people would tell me I had to see the baskets made in this country. Not understanding the difference, I actually applied to vend many years ago and was told the festival was really about the Sweetgrass baskets. I understood.

This year, with no storefront, but still wanting to buy ostrich eggshell to support the San I had worked with, I applied for a booth not to sell baskets, but the ostrich eggshell beaded jewelry.

This is the year of the San Bushmen. This is the year I concentrate on marketing them. (OK, with some marula on the side).

Are they ready? Can I do this without impacting their lives negatively? Will I be able to meet the needs of the retailers and the San women? I sure hope so. After over 10 years of trying to make this happen, is it finally going to happen?

I was sitting at my computer thinking about the trip. No, we didn't sell that magic number that I told myself we had to sell in order to make the trip worthwhile. And so, I wanted to approach some retail stores. At least then, I knew I did what I could to recoup some costs and to help the sustainability of the project.

Getting ready to send out some emails, I got one instead.

I sat there reading it and smiling, then crying. If there was ever a doubt that there is someone watching over me, let me remember this moment.

This is what the email said:

" I just needed to tell you that I was truly impressed with your display of ostrich eggshell necklaces and other items this past Saturday (June 6) at the Sweetgrass Basket Festival in Mt. Pleasant, SC. I did not get a chance to converse with the young man at the display as he was busy with customers as I was passing through so I picked up your business card before leaving. I have read your information online and it is so touching. I do have a SC retail license and am so interested in retailing the necklaces. I have just located to the Columbia, SC area from Charleston, SC. Please let me know what information you need so that I will be able to receive your wholesale information. Thank you and have wonderful day."

You can't make this stuff up! If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.


No comments:

Post a Comment