Monday, December 7, 2015

$15 and Change

Before you tell me how great a person I am, I want to tell you that I am not. I did something any one of you would do if given the chance.        
Over the weekend at a Salvation Army store in Syracuse, a family stood in line. They waited to get the price of a winter coat for the mom. 
I was at the register next to them. I was buying three pieces of children's clothing...for my dog. In all, the polar fleece vest, the down vest and the hoodie came to around $15. As it turned out, the same price as this woman's winter coat. 
When the cashier told her the price, the couple looked at each other and the husband said, "We don't have that much." The cashier said, "So what would you like to do?" 
Holding up a pair of red velvet boots with tassels that I assumed were for the little girl, the mother asked what the total was without those boots. The cashier told her. The mother looked at the items she was purchasing - a bra for herself, a pair of gloves, a sweatshirt for their son. Again, the cashier asked her what she wanted to do. The mother said, "I will take it." English was not her first language. From the conversation between the couple, I think they were speaking Swahili. The cashier questioned her. "The girls' boots or the jacket?" The woman said, "I want all of it, but..." The line grew longer. "I'm confused. Do you want all of it?" "Yes, but I can only take one." "So, which one?" The clerk asked impatiently. "That one." She pointed to the red boots. 
Well, that nearly broke my heart and made it swell all at the same time. She chose her daughter over herself. I had to do something. 
As they paid, I glanced up at my husband, but he wasn't really paying attention, and so I quickly asked the cashier waiting on me to ring up the coat. She hestiated for a moment. Afraid the family would leave without the coat, I grabbed it as she added it to my bill, I handed it to Peter. "Quick, quick." I said to him. "Give this to them." pointing to the family heading out the door.
Without looking their way, I heard Peter saying, "Excuse me." And "Stay warm this winter." 
He returned to me at the register to take the bag of kids' outerwear we had bought for our puppy, Westley. $15 to clothe our dog, the same amount to keep a woman warm during a Syracuse winter.
We were going to our car when the husband came up to Peter, took his hand in both of his and said, "God bless you. Have a wonderful day."

I debated whether or not to put this on social media. I decided to, not to pat myself on the back, but to inspire others to do the same.

Every day, we can make a difference in someone's life. When you see that chance, take it. Be the change.


No comments:

Post a Comment