Monday, May 23, 2016

Juno, Goddess of Action


Robin eggs awaited at the Juno Cottage.
I have been having a frustrating time of it. Trying to define my job prospects after I pulled out of the Underwear Factory. I've been trying to find a group of underserved women with whom to work, with no luck thus far. I've also been looking for another space to serve as a creativity center or a writing studio.

My house is a zoo, quite literally, with two dogs, a coatimundi, patagonian cavy and up until recently, a pig and a chicken. I love being with the animals, but they're huge distractions keeping me from work and most especially, keeping me from writing.

Push comes to shove, I miss writing.

On particularly down days, I cry because I can't.

Recently, as I poured my frustration out to Peter, I was overwhelmed by the futility of my life. I didn't seem to be able to focus. I was bombarded by demands from everyone I knew including every animal left in our charge. I wished for some peace.

Then, I quite literally saw a post on FB. There were still some spaces left for the Omega Women's Leadership Center Juno Residency. Apply now, it said. And so I did. And so I got it, and now I couldn't be more grateful.

Juno is a one bedroom, one and one half bath charming
cottage with kitchenette, WiFi, patio and no responsibilities.
The Juno Cottage is Omega Institute's Luxury Accommodations and is only available for use by the OWLC. It is a refuge for women who are working to better the world. A place to recharge. The Residency is self-guided with complimentary use of the Juno Cottage as well as open workshops in yoga, meditation, and QiGong. Residents can go to the lake, sauna, play tennis, hike. Three meals of organic, live and mostly vegan foods are served. And for a fee, there are treatments at the Wellness Center to enhance your stay. Deep tissue massage for me tomorrow right after breakfast. Mmmm...

I made sure to join the beginning QiGong in the movement studio this morning, getting up earlier than I usually do at home in order to participate. It was my first time to try QiGong. And while the practice was gentle, meditative and soothing, I do hurt a little. There is a slight twinge of exercised muscles. Imagine that!
Luxuriating in the Omega Institute's
hammock by the lake. 

Or could it have been the hour-long guided meditation? I hadn't sat in Lotus position for years. Could that be the reason my butt hurts just a little bit?

Or maybe it's climbing the hills from the cafeteria to my cottage? No matter. I feel revitalized. I needed this.

But mostly, quite honestly, I needed the solitude. I had tried going to my father-in-law's house for some writing time, but I didn't like that I was so alone. I would stay at our cabin in the Catskills by myself, but bears, crazy neighbors, mice are all too much for me to handle without Peter. Besides, I hate staying anywhere without my dog, but man, having him with me would be like being in my own house, who am I kidding?

But here, I have peace. I get to stay in a beautiful, spacious, tranquil cottage. I have a community of fellow serenity seekers. I have access to all I need. I don't even have to worry about feeding myself (which if you knew me, you'd know, I absolutely loathe!)

This Juno Residency was exactly what I needed. And you know what, exactly what I asked for just days before I was scheduled to arrive? I asked for it and got it. At the time, while I knew I was coming here, I didn't know what was expected of me. I didn't know how to utilize the facilities. I didn't know that this would be just what I was longing for. I just didn't know.

On Sunday, upon arriving at my cottage, I noticed bird poop all over one of the patio chairs. Then, I noticed the nest situated in the back of another chair. How sweet, I thought and slowly walked over to take a closer look. And wouldn't you know it, this perfectly built nest cradled four beautiful blue eggs. I noticed mama robin watching me from a branch nearby. The other robin could be heard cawing from a short distance away. Eggs. They were a good sign.

But no sooner had I unpacked when my phone rang. My husband started with the good news. He had found ramps in our backyard. Yay! Then the bad news, my dog, Westley had cut himself and needed stitches. Oh no! The Emergency Vet had to put him under but he was fine, all-be-it a bit groggy. Should I come home? I wondered aloud. "No, he's fine." Peter insisted. But now, he had to be walked on a leash, something I was worried my mom wouldn't be able to do while I was away for the next couple of days. "Don't worry about it. We'll take care of it." my husband reassured me. But how odd, that I wanted to be free from the burden of letting the dogs out and one of our dogs, my dog, actually gets hurt? OK, not so hurt he would have died, but still...what was this telling me?

I guess, that things still happen. When I was lamenting my "woeful" life, Peter very gently said, "Well, you can't be absolved of all of your responsibilites. You'll have to let the dogs out and on occassion go grocery shopping." I don't know, I thought to myself. "Did Jane Austen have to attend to her dogs? Does Toni Morrison grocery shop?" But I know. I know. And now I do know. I wouldn't want to live so that I was totally reclusive. What I needed was a little time to regroup and regenerate my spirit so that I can be an understanding mom, an attentive dog owner, an interesting and interested wife, a caring daughter, and most of all, a writer.

The biggest thing to come out of these three days is that I allowed myself to be defined by the one title I have always wanted but feared. In Juno, according to OWLC, the goddess inspires us to maintain our integrity as we claim a leadership that is fair and protective in spirit and creative, bold and wise in action. Juno helped me to embrace being a writer. Sure, I've written things, published books, magazine and newspaper articles, but I was an editor, not a writer. I wrote what was assigned to me, not what I came up with on my own. I have put fear behind me. I have committed to my fate. I am not a waitress, which is what I was doing when I met Pete. I am not Women's Work, which is what I have been doing for the past 13 years. I am a writer, which is all I had wanted to do since I was in Second Grade.
Nick Lyons correcting one of the papers I wrote in his
Essay Writing Class. (I got an A in his class, by the way.)

Just before I left for this Residency, I found an essay I wrote my senior year in college entitled, "Why I write." My professor, the very gentle, kind and talented editor/publisher, Nick Lyons tore it apart. It as sloppy, with corrections I made with pen atop my typewritten pages. It was general when it should have been specific. It was not my best work, Nick said. He was disappointed, he continued, because he knew I could do better. I remember working on that assignment. I was afraid. I'm not afraid anymore.

This is what I have longed for. This is what I was born to do.

Thanks to my husband for his continued support at home and for the OWLC for believing I had the strength to bring out the Juno in me.


2 comments:

  1. My pleasure to help - and to get to be the first to read your writings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete