Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Chapter One

     

     The rain fell heavily. Monsoon had come.
     I ran for the house, but when I got there the doors were shut and bolted to keep the winds from blowing them open.
     I pounded on the door. No one could hear me. The sound from my four-year-old fists were no match for the strength of the violent storm.
     Looking around, I wondered where to go to find shelter. There! Across the patio was the shed. The door was blown open. I could go there.
     Hand-over-hand, I pulled myself along the fencing to the flimsy building. It housed garden furniture, some tools, and feed. I managed to get in and push the door shut. I piled some bags of manure against it. I hoped that would help keep it closed.
     I’d never really been in here before. I wasn’t allowed. There were things that could hurt me, like the machete, the clippers, a hoe. But it was safer here than out there, that’s for sure.
     I was soaking wet and starting to feel the wind blow. I started to shiver. Was I cold or scared? Probably both. The last monsoon I remembered went on for a few days. The winds and rain weren’t constant but it was enough to cut our electricity which meant no lights at night, no radio and no telephones. And even when it was over, the roads were flooded so we couldn’t leave our house.
     I didn’t want to stay here for days. I wished I had gone in when my mom told me to. They were preoccupied and didn’t notice I hadn’t followed them inside. I was busy playing with my doll. And now, I’m stuck outside. At least, I do still have her to play with.
     As I looked out at the blacked sky, driving rain, and felt the fierce winds against the tin roof of the bamboo enclosure, I wished I had listened to my mommy.
     I found an old grain sack and put it around my shoulders. I sat on the cushions piled up against the window. I must have fallen asleep because I don’t remember the time going by, the wind subsiding and the sun coming out. How long had it been? I wasn’t sure.
     But when I did awake and looked out the window, I could see a family of water buffalo making their way down the street. I was transfixed by them. A Momma, a middle sized one and then a tiny baby. I craned my neck to see the baby who was tucked close to the momma’s legs.
     Suddenly, I heard a bang on the door. I jumped with a start!
     My mom managed to push the door open enough to squeeze her body through. “There you are!” she said to me.
     “Look momma, “ I started to say to show her the furry carabao. “They look funny.”
     But she didn’t hear me. “Come here. Get up from there!” She bent down to pull me up onto my feet. “Where have you been? I was worried sick.” She was scolding me. I was startled that she was angry.

     I pointed again to the Caraboa. “Momma.” I began. “Don’t Momma me!” She said as she spanked me. “Don’t you ever do that again! If anything happened to you. I’d kill you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment