Thursday, April 23, 2015

Have you read the NYTimes article by David Brooks entitled "The Moral Bucket List"? At first, I wanted to object. But then I read on.

And by the time he reaches his conclusion, I realize he's talking to me. That's what happened. I didn't set out to "do good". I lived my life and during the course of events, I found something that suited me. I found my purpose. How difficult was it? He maps it out quite cycincally.

And when he concludes, I automatically filled in and changed his final paragraph so that the conclusion perfectly described my life:
"The Writer doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be. Unexpectedly, there are transcendent moments of deep tranquillity. For most of their lives their inner and outer ambitions are strong and in balance. But eventually, at moments of rare joy, career ambitions pause, the ego rests, the Writer looks out at a picnic or dinner or a valley and is overwhelmed by a feeling of limitless gratitude, and an acceptance of the fact that life has treated her much better than she deserves.
Those are the Writers we want to be."
And he's absolutely right. "Those are the people we want to be."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/opinion/sunday/david-brooks-the-moral-bucket-list.html?WT.mc_id=2015-Q2-KWP-AUD_DEV-0401-0630&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVAPRIL&kwp_0=14375&kwp_4=97091&kwp_1=138508&_r=0


No comments:

Post a Comment