Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Without Clark

Most mornings I wake uncomfortable after sleeping pinned between my husband and Clark the Elderly Rescue Dog​. If I get up before them, I crawl over Clark and the small wet spot he has unwittingly left due to his slight incontinence. He makes it worse after he obsessively licks it, thus further drenching the spot with his saliva. I sometimes step in more drool or some throw-up and occasionally poop, but in fairness, not since we first got him last year this time. He now only pees or poops in the sunroom, which, to Clark, must be an extension of the outdoors.
I jump in the shower and when done, I'd find him lying on the bathmat. There's no room for me to rest my foot in order to get out.
He will awake to lick my legs of remaining water droplets, leaving behind his rancid breath. He also likes the taste of my skincare, Marula Oil and will lick my legs and arms after I've applied some.
His shedding fur clings to my newly washed feet. Ugh, I have been heard to exclaim. I never feel clean.
This has been my morning routine for a year or so now,  until yesterday, this is, when I woke up without him.
I will recount my many complaints about my buddy Clark in this blog, on FB, and in private correspondence, I'm sure. Complaints aside, I will remember him fondly. Oh how I would gladly experience them again and again if only he were still alive.
I will miss his hot stinky breath on my face when he climbs into my lap, pinning me down and claiming me as his.
I will miss how he looked at me as I did things like brush my hair, chose clothing to wear for the day and walked out of the room. I'm sure I left him wondering where I was going and what I would do while he waited for me to return.
I will miss his howling at what seemed like nothing in my bedroom, but perhaps it was a lingering ghost in a house that holds trapped souls.
I will miss how he arouses himself from his deep sleep and runs around the house looking for me when he realized I'd returned.
I will miss how he smelled like Fritos.
And I will miss a very good and loyal friend who helped me get through the loss of my shadow, Chelsea.
I would give anything to have to care for you again, Clark, and miss the way you took such good care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment